Friday, June 23, 2006

Bittersweet Symphony

I have been neglecting you haven’t I?


On Wednesday at work, our department foreman got a call. Well, The foreman on days apparently got in a wreck, a big one. He rear-ended a semi on US 30, and was care flighted to one of our hospitals here in Fort Wayne, (we have three with helicopters). He was looking really bad at first, and that night, they said he probably would not make it. But by the next day, it was in the news, and he was in serious but stable condition. His name is Casey Mack. He is really (and I am serious) one of the best supervisors I have ever had, and that is saying a lot, because I have had some shitty ass bosses. He is a great guy, and everyone I work with is shocked. It always happens to the wrong people, and everyone has said, that there are more than a few bosses in the plant who should be the one that rear ended a semi, not him.


We are hiring AGAIN!!!! Nobody took me up last time, I guess everyone is earning $17.00 an hour (starting wage, plus cost of living). We are hiring a few more hundred people, apparently more that 37,000 people across the country have taken the buyouts at GM and Delphi. And we have a new 50 million dollar extension on the plant, plus an entirely new building across from the plant, that will cost a fortune I am sure. So, we will be adding people from other plants, and when that runs out, we may permanently hire new people here, which is a once in a lifetime thing. The last time GM hired anyone of the street was when I came in, in 1997, through about 2000. I was in the first 100 people to be hired in my “home” plant, in Delphi Dayton, OH, which is now a HUGE parking lot. (Actually, it is just leveled). But the other plant for that location is still operational, that is where my mom works. I got my mom hired on in 1999, and the chance has perhaps come again.


I am not so sure on having more kids. Angi wants some NOW, NOW, NOW. I just don’t to become overextended, I mean, depend on every dollar I get. That, and I feel I don’t need to be the Brady Bunch, with a litter of kids, and repopulate the whole Earth. As if there is not enough people in the world, and it’s a real shitty world. On the other hand, I do feel a need to give my son and daughter some siblings, because I miss the tiny little babies. They were so small, and adorable, and exhausting. They both got up every hour on the hour, and that is after the nightmare of the neonatal unit. Can I go through that again? But I want to contribute more to this world I live in. Boy, that sounded dumb and corny. What to do????? Keep on keepin’ on, and think really hard, that’s what.


And I freaking LOVE that song by The Verve. Gots to go to work now.

4 Comments:

Blogger 1 plus twins said...

man if they had a plant in az i would definitly take you up on that offer!! don't want move to the shitty cold weather. you can have that! lol sorry to hear about your supervisor. that is horrible. i hope he recovers. as for the baby thing only you and angi know what is best. you will and can figure it. hang in there.

Fri Jun 23, 05:56:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Lynda said...

Hey, if you won't let your wife work there, I know my husband won't let me work there.

Sorry to hear about your boss.

As for kids, maybe you should just see what happens. I think those kind of things work themselves out in the end.

Fri Jun 23, 06:47:00 PM EDT  
Blogger I'm not even supposed to be here today said...

I was hell bent on zero population growth... but somehow baby #3 came anyway. After two angels, my third is a beast. I don't know what side of the gene pool he sprang from, but t isn't pretty. If I had had him first, we would only have one child. I'm probaly going to have to use his college fund to pay for my therapy instead! Poor thing!

If we lived closer I would hop on that job in a heartbeat... We're unemployed now and fort wayne is awfully close to where to husband and I grew up... maybe we should just move. Can we stay with your family?? LOL!

Wed Jun 28, 01:24:00 AM EDT  
Blogger JUST A MOM said...

wow mom is late sorry,,,,,,,,,,, ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm kids???? more??? what the hell go for it are they free to get?? is it a game of chance??? what do I now???? flip a coin???? do fostercare????

Thu Jun 29, 05:46:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home